Sunday, May 4, 2014

The Invisibility of Women

For since I was a child, I heard of man and man everywhere in my so called enlightened modern English education. I read, “Man” is a social animal. Even in poetry and prose considered in all greatness and glory of the classical poets and writers, with due respect to whatever they were articulating, all I read about was “man” and even if I heard of women, it was from the eyes of a man. So was the case in my daily life when I was accustomed to consider myself, a girl, invisible, always lingering in the background unless absolutely necessary, it needed reason to make myself visible. Without good reason, I had no place anywhere. I wasn’t significant or important nor did I matter as a human in my own worth.  As a girl, one needs a reason to become visible while it is just the other way round for a man, who needs a reason to become invisible. And visible, women become, only when they play to the eyes of men, playing out their roles to their male chauvinist taste.


Stay indoors. If you want to go out, you need to have good reason because of course, a woman’s place is in the kitchen.  Let me adapt it to today’s times. Even if a woman works, her place in the kitchen is still reserved only for her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment